What’s the best place for down-home Texas Chicken Fried Steak with Texas River Bottom Gravy? We found traditional recipes for both when we visited Hickory Hollow restaurant in Houston, Texas, and now you can make it at home.
- 4 beef cubed steaks (1 to 1-1/4 pounds total), pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- In a large resealable bag, marinate the cube steaks in the Worcestershire sauce for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Place flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Pour buttermilk into another shallow dish.
- Dip steaks in flour, coating completely, then in buttermilk and again in the flour.
- In a large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add steaks and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through and coating is golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and cover to keep warm.
- Add 1/3 cup of the remaining seasoned flour to the skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until flour is browned, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk and broth, stirring until thickened. Serve gravy over steak.
Recipe courtesy of Hickory Hollow Restaurant, Houston, Texas
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.