We love pulling out all the stops when it comes to impressing company, and nothing could be easier than this Dressed-Up Holiday Pie! N.Y. Times best-selling cookbook authors Karen Tack & Alan Richardson of the "Hello, Cupcake!" series share some easy garnishing tips to make us holiday heroes.
Cooking Time: 55 min
What You'll Need:
• 1 rolled refrigerated pie crust (from a 14.1-ounce package)
• 1 (15-ounce) can 100% pure pumpkin
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup light brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
• 2 eggs
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Unroll pie crust and place in a 9-inch deep dish pie plate, pressing crust firmly into pie plate and crimping edges.
2. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and beat with a whisk until well combined and smooth. Pour mixture into pie crust.
3. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking 40 to 50 additional minutes, on until center is set. Let cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To really fancy up this pie, decorate it with Homemade Autumn Leaves!
• Just divide beaten egg whites among 4 small bowls. Tint each bowl a different bright color – red, green, yellow, and orange (a mixture of red and yellow) – with food coloring.
• Roll out 1 roll of dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a variety of 2- to 3-inch leaf-shaped cookie cutters, cut out shapes, cutting as closely as possible. Transfer the shapes to baking sheets about 1 inch apart.
• With a pastry brush, brush a quarter of the dough leaves with one of the tinted egg washes, then use a toothpick to lightly score veins in the leaves. Repeat with remaining egg washes, using a clean pastry brush for each color.
• Bake the dough leaves until just golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Read more at http://www.mrfood.com/Pie/Dressed-Up-Holiday-Pie#RwcOBrtuWPdQr2Os.99
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.