Talk about one that’s sure to become an Easter tradition for years to come! Our eye-catching Easter Egg Bread is a pull apart sweet bread that bakes up with colorful Easter eggs nested in it.
Yields: 1 loaf
Preparation Time: 1 hr 15 min
Cooking Time: 25 min
• 2 cups plus 2 teaspoons water, divided
• 4 teaspoons white vinegar
• 4 different food colors
• 4 eggs (see Note)
• 1 pound frozen bread dough, thawed
• 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1. In each of 4 cups or small bowls, combine 1/2 cup water and 1 teaspoon vinegar. Add about 1/4 teaspoon of a different food color to each cup.
2. Place 1 egg (in shell) in each cup and allow to sit until the desired color is attained, turning eggs occasionally with a spoon. Remove to paper towels to drain and dry completely.
3. Divide dough into thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Braid strips together then place on a baking sheet and form into a ring, pinching ends together to seal. Tuck colored eggs into the braid, spacing them evenly. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden; allow to cool slightly.
5. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and the remaining water, stirring until thoroughly blended. Brush warm bread with sugar glaze, being careful not to coat the colored eggs. Serve warm, or cover and chill until ready to serve.
• Feel free to decorate the eggs any way you like, but remember: they need to be raw when you start (so they don't overcook).
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.