Burgoo is a big favorite for Kentucky Derby-watching parties, and our version of Easy Kentucky Burgoo make this hearty stew even simpler to pull off. And whether for the big race or anytime at all, it’s a one-pot that always satisfies.
Cooking Time: 1 hr 45 min
• 1 (3-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
• 1 pound beef top round, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 6 cups beef broth
• 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
• 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen vegetable gumbo mix, thawed
• 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1. In a soup pot, combine chicken, beef, broth, and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover loosely, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
2. Add vegetable gumbo mix and tomato paste. Increase heat to medium-high and return to a boil. Let boil 25 to 30 minutes, or until thick, stirring occasionally.
• If you can't find gumbo mix, you can substitute with 3 cups frozen okra, 3 cups frozen corn, a small green bell pepper, chopped, and a small onion, chopped.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.