They say "everything in Texas is bigger than life," and that goes for our easy recipe for Texas Sheet Cake! This crowd-sized sheet cake will delight chocolate lovers, and definitely take the cake!
Cooking Time: 30 min
• 2 sticks (1 cup) butter
• 1 cup water
• 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, divided
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
• 3 tablespoons milk
• 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small saucepan, combine 2 sticks butter, water, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder; cook over low heat until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and pour into a large heat-resistant bowl to cool. Add flour, granulated sugar, eggs, sour cream, baking soda and salt; beat until well combined then pour into a 10- x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet.
3. Bake 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean; set aside to cool.
4. In a small saucepan, make frosting by melting the 1/4 cup butter with milk and the remaining cocoa powder over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; mix well then frost cooled cake.
• If you want to fancy this up a bit, sprinkle the frosting with crushed chocolate sandwichcookies, broken-up pieces of your favorite chocolate candy bar, or Texas-sized whole shelled walnuts!
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2013 A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.