Fort Wayne, IN (Indiana’s NewsCenter) – Patrons are usually annoyed when the housekeeper knocks on their door while staying at a hotel but not Monday morning.
Around 9 a.m. a window air conditioning unit caught fire at Parkview Studios on Harris Road.
Akenya Surry, the housekeeper on duty, noticed the fire and jumped into action.
She kicked the out the protective glass of a fire extinguisher and used it to put out the fire.
She then went to all the rooms and helped the 53 residents exit the building.
Hero Housekeeper Akenya Surry says, “There's people here you know, I mean, I'd want somebody to do it for me, you know. We got the elderly, and the senior people, we got them out of here and got them on the emergency wagon so they can get their air and everything and that's all I was trying to do. I was just trying to help.”
No one was injured, and residents have been able to return to their rooms.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2013 A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.