Explosive Fire and Toxic Fumes Coming from Momper Insulation

By Katrina Helmer
By Scott Sarvay

October 30, 2011 Updated Oct 25, 2013 at 5:51 AM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Indiana's NewsCenter) - One firefighter was injured and sent to a local hospital after part of the building collapsed.

The firefighter was on the outside perimeter of the building when a wall fell on him. He was treated and later released with minor injuries.

Police are asking that everyone near Momper Insulation, 2431 W Main, evacuate the area due to toxic fumes.

At this time we have unconfirmed reports that vehicles, and barrels of cyanide may be on fire within the building.

Late Sunday morning Fort Wayne Fire Department and Police were called to a possible fire at 2431 W Main.

Smoke was seeping from under a large over-head door. Firefighters had difficulty trying to open it up. When they did, they had even more difficulty locating where the fire had started because insulation was stacked to the ceiling.

According to scanner dispatch, urethane is causing multiple explosions in the building. And the melting insulation is mixing with the firefighter's water run-off, which might be clogging drains.

Businesses and homes in the surrounding area reported a loss of power as fire crews try to fight the fire.

We have a crew on scene and will update our website when more details come available.




What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.

Want to be in the know for the next weather event, the next school closing or the next big breaking news story?

TextCaster alerts from Indiana's NewsCenter are your defining source for instant information delivered right to your cell phone and email. It's free, easy and instant. Sign-Up Now!

Powered by Summit City Chevrolet



© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.