FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Indiana's NewsCenter) --- The start of healing, but no closure...at least not yet.
The mother of Fort Wayne shooting victim Artie Rittenhouse says better times may be ahead for her family, now that prosecutors have charged someone in the 14-year old murder case.
The family met Monday with the lead prosecutor in the case.
They were brought up to speed on a major breakthrough in a criminal case that for years really wasn't going anywhere.
We first reported last week, the filing of a murder charge against 36-year old Bernard McClaney.
He's locked up in an Ohio prison for another crime, but now he's accused in the 1998 shooting death of Artie Rittenhouse.
Court documents say witnesses re-interviewed pointed the finger of blame at McClaney, and DNA evidence retrieved from a black bag left at the crime scene, matched a DNA sample obtained from McClaney in prison.
The Rittenhouse family came to the Allen County Prosecutor's office for an afternoon briefing.
The victim's mother says there's finally a chance to experience some healing of old wounds.
" We wanted to know what happened, why did it happen, and that you couldn't help but think of the bad, you know, but now we can go ahead and think of happier times and happier things," Sharon Rittenhouse said.
" I think it will all play out in court, and that's what I'm anxious to see, how it's going to play out in court," said Arthur Rittenhouse, the father.
Among the other relatives keenly interested in how the case evolves, is 13-year old Angel Chaney.
She's the daughter of Artie Rittenhouse.
She was conceived two weeks before he was murdered.
Chaney never saw her dad alive, but like the rest of the family, she will be rooting to see justice served, assuming the case goes to trial in the coming months.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2013 A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.