Avenir Inn Evacuated After Fire (VIDEO & PHOTOS)

By Benecia Brown - 21Alive
By Emma Koch - 21Alive

October 17, 2013 Updated Oct 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (21Alive) -- Fire crews were called to Avenir Inn, formally the Baymont Inn, Thursday shortly before 8:30 a.m.

When crews arrived at the 1000 block of W. Washington Center Rd. they found heavy smoke on the 3rd floor and immediately called for a full response.

The fire was contained to one room on the 3rd floor. There are unconfirmed reports that a heater within the room malfunctioned and soon began to smoke.

All of the people who were inside the hotel made it out safely. According to investigators there are no reports of anyone being injured.




What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.

Want to be in the know for the next weather event, the next school closing or the next big breaking news story?

TextCaster alerts from Indiana's NewsCenter are your defining source for instant information delivered right to your cell phone and email. It's free, easy and instant. Sign-Up Now!

Powered by Summit City Chevrolet



© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.