Kids Throw Fireworks At Puppy, One Explodes In Mouth

By Emma Koch - INC
By RTV6

Credit: RTV6

This is not the puppy that was injured, but the Humane society said the puppy looked similar to this one, only smaller.

July 8, 2013 Updated Jan 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM EDT

ELKHART, Ind. (www.theindychannel.com) -- A puppy was euthanized Sunday after a firework exploded in the animal's mouth, prompting an animal cruelty investigation.

Elkhart police were called to the 1200 block of Main Street on Sunday to investigate reports of children throwing fireworks at a puppy.

The dog apparently caught a firework that exploded in her mouth.

"It pretty much blew off half of her face," said Anne Reel, executive director of the Humane Society of Elkhart County. "That's just cruel."

The dog, a pit bull mix, was less than a year old.

The puppy was found shaking and bleeding excessively, ABC57 reported . The animal was rushed to the Humane Society.

"It was a terrible, terrible injury, one that we could not save her life," Reel said. "There was absolutely nothing we could do for this animal."

Reel said she hopes that people realize that fireworks are dangerous for people and animals.

"You would think people would have common sense. You've got this explosive device and you're going to throw it at a person or an animal?" Reel said.

Police are still investigating the case.




What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.

Want to be in the know for the next weather event, the next school closing or the next big breaking news story?

TextCaster alerts from Indiana's NewsCenter are your defining source for instant information delivered right to your cell phone and email. It's free, easy and instant. Sign-Up Now!

Powered by Summit City Chevrolet



© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.