As many start the new year off with a goal of eating better we asked a Registered Dietitian from Parkview Hospital to come up with 13 tips to a healthier diet. Following these suggestions from Julia Just will lead to a better diet.
1, Have a good house environment. What's in the kitchen, whole foods or leftover Christmas cookies?
2. Breakfast is most important. fruit, yogurt, protein and oatmeal are great. If you're in a hurry, try whole grain toast with peanut butter.
3. Food Distribution throughout the day. Mini-meals are better than a large meal.
4. Eat less processed food and more whole foods
5. Eat plant based proteins (beans, nuts and seeds), cut
back on red meats.
6. 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
7. Watch for the invisible calories associated with drinks. Many don't realize how much are included with pop and coffee drinks.
8. Increase Fiber. (whole grains, brown rice, whole wheat bread and pastas)
9. Look for deep rich colors with fruits and vegetables (orange, red and green instead of brown)
10. Focus on one group (example: eat more citrus)
11. Have a plan for dinner to avoid fast food, crock pots work well.
12. Shop for seasonal vegetables and fruits. Frozen vegetables are ok. Look for sales and do your research.
13. Divide your plate in the following way: 1/4 Meat, 1/4 Starch, 1/2 fruits and vegetables.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.