Fort Wayne, Ind. (www.incnow.tv) - While investigators say a gas leak didn't caused the devastating explosion in Greenwood, Ind., it provides an opportunity for gas companies to remind you about taking precautions with the appliances that do use gas, now that the weather is getting colder.
NIPSCO says you should have your furnace serviced and make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors with working batteries in them.
And if you smell natural gas, don't touch anything just get out, and then call 911.
Jill Perillo with NIPSCO says, “You don't want to turn your lights off, for instance, you don't want to pick up the phone and dial, you don't even want to use your cell phone. You want to leave the premises. You don't want to open up the windows thinking that you're going to ventilate your house, for instance. You don't want that gas escaping outside and having something outside trigger an explosion.”
To report a natural gas smell, like rotten eggs, call NIPSCO immediately at 1-800-634-3524 and call 911.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.