INDIANAPOLIS (Indiana’s NewsCenter) - The Garfield Park Pool in Indianapolis will reopen Wednesday after a chemical spill.
More than 70 people, majority of them children, were hospitalized after an equipment malfunction allowed for sodium hypochlorite solution and hydrochloric acid to be released in the pool.
Scores of parents in Indianapolis got a call they didn't want -- their child had been rushed to the hospital.
It all started with an innocent outing at the pool.
At least seven children remain hospitalized Friday one day after they got sick from a chemical imbalance at a public swimming pool.
More than 200-people were at the Garfield Park Pool in Indianapolis Thursday when they were exposed to an acid commonly used to clean the pool.
Investigators think the chemical was mechanically released into the pool by an automatic sensor that may have malfunctioned.
32-children and six adults were taken to IU Health Methodist Hospital, nine children were taken to Riley Hospital for children... and five others were taken to Wishard Memorial.
Hospital officials say those patients' conditions are improving.
Ten children and an adult were taken to a hospital following a chemical spill at a public swimming pool in Indianapolis.
It happened just before 2:00 p.m. on Thursday at the Garfield Park Aquatic Center
The chemical appears to be a purifying agent. The injuries do not appear to be life threatening.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2013 A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.