New Haven, Ind. (www.incnow.tv) – Fire Investigators are trying to figure out what sparked a blaze that destroyed the Motel Wayne on State Road 930 in New Haven. The fire started around 8:30 Saturday morning.
"I just seen flames just shooting out of, I believe it was room number 11 and I was like man, and it spread quick," said Robert Fowler, motel guest.
Robert Fowler had just moved back to the motel. He was able to escape with a few small items but lost most of his belongings in the blaze.
"Just got to keep your faith man and persevere," said Fowler.
Fowler is one of at least 50 people who have been displaced because of the fire.
Harish R. Saah and his wife own the hotel. They have been in business since the early 1980s. The shock of losing their home, business and everything inside is still setting in.
"I tried to take my papers out so I can go to the bank and deposit but I could not breath so I got out, I left it in my house, everything is in my house," said Harish R. Saah, Owner, Motel Wayne.
It is believed the fire started in one unit but quickly spread because of how the attic was built.
"The building is so old, the type of construction, there's no fire stops in the attic so when the fire gets into the attic and it's fully open obviously you can see it spread from one end to the next," said Chuck Lehman, investigator, New Haven Adams Township Fire Department.
Lehman says everyone was able to get out and no one was seriously hurt. He also says it's likely the building will be a total loss
A nearby gas station temporarily acted as a shelter Saturday morning for those displaced while the Red Cross worked to help the victims find places to stay.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.