Hallmark Inn Not Condemned, Decision Postpones, Residents Will Not Be Displaced (VIDEO)

By Emma Koch - 21Alive
By Linda Jackson - 21Alive
By Rachelle Spence - 21Alive

March 5, 2014 Updated Mar 5, 2014 at 7:44 PM EDT

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (21Alive) -- Earlier Wednesday, Neighborhood Code Enforcement was planning to condemn the Hallmark Inn, which would have resulted in about 100 residents being displaced.

Residents at the extended-stay hotel at Washington and Coliseum had been told they would have to move out by 3 p.m. Wednesday. But shortly after 3 p.m., a release was sent out stating that the condemnation would not occur Wednesday and that the owner of the property had been granted a temporary injunction in this case.

"Some of the structural members are being compromised...foundation issues compromise," said Cindy Joyner, Director of Fort Wayne Neighborhood Code Enforcement said earlier Wednesday. "It's basically the stairwells, the walkways, the foundations...they're all in a serious state of deterioration and neglect."

21Alive was told that 46 rooms were occupied and about 100 people, including some registered sex offenders, would be displaced.

A circuit court hearing will be held on March 12. The reason for this change was not made immediately clear.




What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.

Want to be in the know for the next weather event, the next school closing or the next big breaking news story?

TextCaster alerts from Indiana's NewsCenter are your defining source for instant information delivered right to your cell phone and email. It's free, easy and instant. Sign-Up Now!

Powered by Summit City Chevrolet



© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.