PAULDING COUNTY, OHIO (Indiana’s NewsCenter) – There are still close 4,600 American Electric Power customers in the Paulding County, Ohio area battling excessive heat warnings while still waiting for electricity.
At the Paulding County Extension Office, where at least a dozen Paulding County residents have stopped everyday since Friday’s storm for water and ice, Keenan Spencer and his daughter, Penny, have now setup beds. The two have tried staying in their home, but 100 degree temperatures matched with stifling humidity have them seeking refuge in the office.
“Come where it’s cool. Stay cool. Don’t stay hot. Other than that, you know, just thank God that you know, we’ve been out of power since Friday, but you know, we’ve got to bear with it. I guess eventually we’ll have our power,” says Keenan.
Selwyn Dias, a vice president at AEP, says midnight Saturday will be the best chance for 90 percent of their customers to receive power. The remaining 10 percent will have to wait at least until the end of the weekend. He says the devastation is similar to damage caused by Hurricane Ike.
"We had widespread damage. The winds were at 86 miles per hour with straight lined winds. Just to give you a comparison Hurricane Ike was clocked at straight lined winds at 75 miles an hour so this was a catastrophic event."
The Spencers says they will be at the extension office until their power is returned to their home.
"I'm thinking about staying here until the power comes back on," says Keenan.
AEP says crews from as far north as Canada and as far south as Texas have been chartered to Ohio to help in the restoration.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2013 A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.