The holiday lights this time of year can look beautiful, but overloading circuits and faulty wiring can cause fires. To keep you and your home safe while decorating this year, Jason Meyers talked to Electrician Jeff Degitz of Summit City Electric in a live interview.
A few quick tips:
1. Test all lights on a non-flammable surface before hanging them on your home or tree.
2. Check the strings of lights for frayed wires or excessive heat.
3. Don't string more than 3 to 6 strands of lights together, depending on what kind you have. Check the box to be sure.
4. Don't overload a single circuit within your home. Check your electric panel before starting.
5. If you're still unsure, ask an electrician for help.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2013 A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.