Fort Wayne Republican Mayoral Candidate Matt Kelty is calling the nine-count indictment against him "a blessing in disguise." Kelty has yet to call a formal news conference since Tuesday when the indictment was returned. But, he did talk to our partner in news Friday morning.
Kelty told WOWO Radio's Charly Butcher, the indictment came as a shock, but he is confident his name will be cleared. Kelty says it has been hard on his family, especially for his kids when they see this video. He wouldn't answer specific questions about the charges he faces. But, Kelty argued he is getting support from the Allen County Republican Party.
He says he intends to pay Steve and Glenna Jehl and Fred Rost back for the almost 160-thousand dollars they loaned his campaign. But, he also told Charly Butcher he is having a hard time fundraising.
Matt Kelty: "In a way it's a blessing in disguise. It forces us to get into the grassroots organization and really put together an unprecedented and vigor grassroots organization that gets out into every precinct. I think the voters do deserve to have this thing pushed as quickly as possible."
Matt Kelty: "Because of this we haven't been able to raise a lot of money. I am on the ballot and I will remain on the ballot because I am convinced that Fort Wayne has a bright future and I have a role to play in helping transform the City of Fort Wayne."
Indiana's NewsCenter asked Kelty for an on camera interview, but he declined. Kelty will return to court on October 10th.
In related news, Indiana's NewsCenter has repeatedly tried to reach Congressman Mark Souder for his reaction to the Kelty indictments, since he publicly supported Kelty before the grand jury met. But so far, Souder will not return our calls.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2013 A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.