WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif. -- Auto manufacturers are producing higher quality vehicles than ever before, according to a new study released Wednesday by J.D. Power and Associates.
The study shows the overall industry has improved vehicle issues by 5 percent from 2011.
However, audio, entertainment, and navigation problems have increased by 8 percent. This is the first time in 26 years that consumers have noted multimedia systems in vehicles as a main source of a quality problems.
In fact, hands-free devices specifically not recognizing commands has become the most-often-reported problem in the industry.
"Automakers and suppliers are working hard to meet those expectations with systems intended to make the driving experience safer, more convenient, and more entertaining," said David Sargent, vice president of global automotive at J.D. Power and Associates.
The 2012 U.S. Initial Quality Study also listed the top performing vehicles in each category:
* Sub-Compact Car: Toyota Yaris
* Compact Car: Toyota Corolla
* Compact Sporty Car: Mazda MX-5 Miata
* Compact Premium Sporty Car: Volvo C70
* Entry Premium Car: Lexus ES 350
* Midsize Premium Car: Infiniti M-Series
* Midsize Sporty Car: Ford Mustang
* Large Premium Car: Lexus LS
* Midsize Car: Chevrolet Malibu
* Large Car: Ford Taurus
* Premium Sporty: Porsche 911
* Compact Crossover SUV: Honda CR-V
* Compact MPV: Kia Soul
* Entry Premium Crossover SUV: Infiniti EX-Series
* Midsize Crossover SUV: Buick Enclave
* Large Crossover SUV: Ford Expedition
* Midsize Premium Crossover SUV: Lexus RX
* Large Premium Crossover SUV: Cadillac Escalade
* Large Pickup: GMC Sierra LD
* Midsize Pickup: Nissan Frontier
* Minivan: Nissan Quest
The study is based on responses from more than 74,000 purchasers and lessees of new 2012 model-year cars, trucks, and multi-activity vehicles after 90 days of ownership.
For more detailed findings on new-vehicle quality performance, visit www.jdpower.com/quality.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2013 A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.