INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (<a href=http://www.theindychannel.com/web/wrtv/news/local-news/impd-warns-coltsbroncos-fans-keep-an-eye-out-for-malevolent-scalpers>RTV6</a>) -- Police are stepping up to remind Colts fans to take extra caution before this weekend’s big faceoff with the Broncos if those fans are considering buying tickets from scalpers.
The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) said unknown sources such as scalpers who sell tickets to fans are more than willing to take advantage of those fans, regardless of team affiliation.
With myriad possible legitimate ticket forms for the game, IMPD said it’s easy to be duped by a fake ticket. Police advise that fans buy tickets from reputable ticket brokers who have policies in place to ensure compensation if the purchased ticket is fake or stolen.
Other IMPD tips:
- Get used to the reality that counterfeit and stolen tickets are out there
- Purchase tickets from a licensed broker and be careful if buying from someone on the street or Internet
- Avoid using Craigslist
- If the offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is
- Beware of those trying to sell tickets for less than the going rate
- Look out for people trying to sell or trade for upgraded tickets; they may be trying to get a fan’s legitimate tickets in exchange for fake ones
- Look at tickets for paper-stock quality, misspellings and off-center logos
IMPD said it’s also crucial to report ticket scams to officers, despite the fact that oftentimes, people feel embarrassed or angry after being swindled and simply leave the area. Police advise anyone who encounters a possible ticket scammer to get as much information as possible on that person or company who sold the ticket.
IMPD also wants to remind anyone heading downtown for the game (at 8:30 p.m. Sunday) to make sure personal belongings left in cars are out of sight in the glove box or trunk.
Police said officers are planning multiple extra patrols downtown this weekend.
What are your thoughts CLICK HERE to leave us a "Your2Cents” comment.
© Copyright 2014, A Granite Broadcasting Station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.