Need to lose weight, lower your blood pressure or cholesterol, quit smoking or become more active? The American Heart Association is seeking women who are ready to improve their health to participate in the Go Red For Women BetterU Makeover Challenge. Eight Allen County area women will be selected to participate in the 12-week challenge.
Participants will receive free wellness screenings, medical consultations, coaching from personal trainers and dieticians, plus additional resources to help them make healthy changes to their lives.
Applications are available online at Heart.org/FortWayne or FortWayneGoRed.org. For more information, contact Mary Pat Leonard, American Heart Association, at 260-485-9890 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed forms should be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 260 485-6731. The deadline to submit applications is Oct. 7, 2011.
Women must meet the following criteria:
• Be at least 18-years-old
• Live in or near the greater Fort Wayne metropolitan area
• Have at least one area of their health in which they would like to improve, such as weight, blood pressure, fitness, or smoking.
• Be willing to participate in a 12-week program that will include free consultations with medical professionals, dieticians and fitness trainers
• Have access to a computer and the Internet
• Be willing to blog about their experience during the 12 weeks of the program
• Serve as a spokesperson for the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women movement
The Go Red BetterU Makeover Challenge Participants will be introduced at the Fort Wayne Go Red For Women Luncheon at being held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Memorial Coliseum on Nov.11. Women will be able to follow the challengers at http://fortwaynebetteru.blogspot.com and receive regular updates at Facebook.com/AHAFortWayne.
Throughout the 12-weeks, the women will blog about their progress as a way of inspiring other women in the community to make healthy changes in their own lives. Other women in the community will be able to follow along with the eight challengers by registering online for Go Red BetterU at GoRedForWomen.org/BetterU where they will receive the same free online tools as the challengers so that they can start on their own journey to a healthier life.
Go Red BetterU is a free 12-week online nutrition and fitness program that can makeover your heart. Each week focuses on a different area and provides step-by-step guidance. The site provides everything from daily expert tips and an online journal to a downloadable BetterMe coaching tool. Go Red For Women is sponsored nationally by Macy’s and Merck.