My little Miracle

Driving to the BP Sunday morning July 1, 2007, near Coldwater Lake, I never expected my life would change so drastically. I saw a little white dog running along side a local highway, so being the pet rescuer that I am, I pulled over and he hoped right in. Putting our name and number in at local shops and checking nearby homes to see if they lost a dog proved to be unsuccessful, we had adopted another animal. I have never owned a dog before so this was all new to me. When I arrived back in Fort Wayne, I took him to the vet a few days later and they said he was about an 8-year-old Pomeranian. A few vet visits later, we find out he has cataracts, a very loud heart murmur and congestive heart failure. Devastated by this news, I vowed to do everything I could to make his life enjoyable and to keep him as long as possible. Giving him four medications twice a day proved to be working and everything was so promising. We then got him groomed, had his teeth cleaned along with four extractions of rotting teeth, and went into the vet at least once a month for checkups. After taking him to our other family vet, he said that Wrigley was doomed and shouldn't even be alive given his problems. Wrigley continued to surprise us, especially when he collapsed one night after a coughing fit and his heart and breathing stopped. Luckily my dad was calm enough to perform CPR on the little guy and we got him conscious again. I rushed him to the Emergency Animal Hospital and after about a three night stay, Wrigley pulled through and was finally alright. But the tragedies kept coming. Since he was not neutered when we found him, he developed a testicular tumor which needed to be removed. This poor little guy then underwent surgery to remove the giant tumor. He continued to surprise us by how well he was doing even though we had the occasional emergency. But wait, there's more. Just a couple of months ago, Wrigley developed a gastrointestinal ulcer which was making him sick every now and then. Medications proved to work and we thought he was fine. A few weeks later, however, he began getting sicker and sicker. He was basically deteriorating right before our eyes. I took him to our vet who wanted to rule out kidney failure, which we did with blood work, and learned it was still his ulcer, only more severe. I gave him the meds faithfully everyday, twice a day but he just couldn't keep them down. He suddenly stopped eating and drinking and began lying in the grass for hours to sleep. Sunday June 22, 2008, I saw how he was struggling to breathe, walk, and even move, so I immediately took him in to the hospital...again. They wanted to keep him overnight, and being that they all knew Wrigley and his difficulties, they thought it would be a simple thing and he'd be home before he knew it. Four hours later I received a call from the hospital telling me he wouldn't survive the night. Rushing to see him, i called my parents and sister, who were also close to him, and they arrived soon after. We had about an hour to see him and pet him, and it was then, that seeing how much pain he was in, we didn't want him to suffer anymore. He was put to sleep around 6:30pm that night. I knew that day was coming sooner or later, but I was hoping it would be a lot later. Our vet called us Monday morning to see how we were doing, and he told us that Wrigley was the luckiest dog he's ever seen. He said that most people wouldn't have done what we did to help a stray dog live out his last months. People tell me that I'm an angel but I only believe that God put me in the right place at the right time to help Wrigley and give him a caring home. I'm just so blessed to have known him for that short year. Since we always walked together, it gave me a chance to really get to know my neighbors because I never just go walking around the neighborhood by myself. Even though he hasn't taken a good walk with me in a while, I still miss how he used to turn circles when i'd grab his leash, or run full speed when I opened the door. The best image I have of him is him running through the grass to catch up to me while his long blonde fur was flowing in the wind and a huge smile adorned his face. I will never forget the little guy. I just wish I knew him longer. I just wish I knew how he ended up running along side that highway. He certainly changed my life and I know he touched others as well. I'm hoping I can continue to help abandoned animals...although I wish people wouldn't abandon them because how would they like to be dropped off somewhere?
I just wanted to share my story because even when you think it's the end, you eventually pull through and continue on. I'm still in the process, but hopefully I can use this experience to help other animals like Wrigley in the future. He will always remain in my heart.

This story is inappropriate and should be flagged for moderation. Please choose from one of the following options:

Add a comment


Comment: 250 Characters Left

WISE INC TV NOW - and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.